Saturday, July 31, 2010

Connections and Influence

I visited the Kenyan Parliament the other day, the equivalent of our Congress in Washington DC. I just walked right in. I was also privileged to visit the Speakers office, the highest political official below the President, Vice President and the Prime Minster. The number four person in Kenya, again, just walked right in. How did that happen?

Kenya's Capital Building

Obviously I was not by myself…I was with 'Pastor Sam' as they called him in the Speaker's office. Sam Owen is connected! They know him and obviously revere him and this was apparent as I drafted along behind him. It was an amazing experience and one that he lives daily.

Kenya's Parliament (Internet photo)

There is far too much to tell about the ministry of this man, but I saw the years and years of work and the networking success that having provided this access. It’s not that they just ‘let him in’, but I saw that he is a welcome person and one they look forward to receiving.

Sam’s mission is to work to connect with top government and business leaders to encourage them in their walk with Jesus. He does this with the idea that if people at the top are living for Christ, it’s quite possible that those below them will see this and will be attracted to consider this path as well. It’s a long term strategy (very long), but the impact that it can have is immense and it is working – we witnessed it (more on that in another post)!

There is much more to say about our time with Sam and Lynn and Nairobi, but we have been privileged to see them at work and some of the results that they have brought about. We look forward to hearing more about their continued ministry in Kenya.

No comments:

Post a Comment